Thursday, September 22, 2011

Colombo Calling !


It’s only less than two hours to Colombo from Chennai! But for that, I am on the road from 10:00pm till 05:00pm – one whole night! When I reached the hotel, all I needed was to just sleep for a few extended hours at a stretch.


That was not to happen though as we had to meet and finalize the logistics of interviews scheduled for the next day. As we knew that the days will be occupied through out, the Managing Director of my recruiting partner took me around the city late in the night; Colombo is a beautiful city, and the climate was absolutely wonderful, with slightly drizzling now and then. The hotel I was put at resembled an old colonial house, and I simply loved the quietness of the place; it is perfectly the place I want to come back and spend some time with no agenda ! The stillness, the natural sound, the unobtrusive staff, the birds and their chirping, the rain drops that made patterns of ripples in the swimming pool; I just loved it.


The recruitment campaign wasn’t bad either; managed to find quite a good number of experienced candidates for different roles. I was very happy with the results.

The country is indeed in its path to progress especially with the defeat of the separatist group LTTE. What I was disappointed to discover was the authoritative dictatorial style of a pseudo-democratic government who is leaving no stones unturned in its pursuit to amass wealth from the countries resources, and how the process is orchestrated carefully by the heads of states and government machinery.

It never makes any sense to me when I think of why these leaders because so wise and yet idiots who are unable to learn from the lessons they see around them? Why are they blind to what happened to Saddam Hussein, Hosni Mobarak, Radovan Karadzic, Slobodan Milosevic, The Roman Empire, The Soviet Union – why do they believe that they have an eternal power and that the wealth and power they amass now will stand tall to protect them eternally?

What is the psychology behind their behaviour that blinds them from the reality that repeats before their eyes in such a fast pace?


Shahir

15 September 2011