Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mr Holland's Opus !


Academicians are - the most of them - an inspiring lot. They may not be seen as wearing Chanel perfumes or Gucci Shirts and might as well be seen as wearing a dress that you saw them wear in the Christmas eve two years ago. These are at least a story of the past and I am sure with the various reforms and progress in time etc., they have advanced in that front too.


Though I know each profession has its own significance in maintaining the eco system of the world and its machinery that enables life to grow and survive, a thought occurred to me that ran a parallel to what a hotelier does when compared to what an academician does.


It took only as long as it would have taken for one to sneeze, to simply think that the hoteliers whether at Ritz Carlton or Raffles or Grosvenor House or St Regis - are meant to serve in the best possible manner the best possible men and women the academicians help produce that are worthy of being served.


There are exceptions. But generalization wouldn't do much harm!


I chose hoteliers for the only fact as that being my profession, and I feel it's no different than any others!



This video clip of Mr Holland's Opus has always touched me when I listen to the lines of the Governor addressing Mr Holland: "he achieved his success far beyond fame and riches...there isn't a life in this room that you have not touched; each one of us are a better person because of you." I thought I will dedicate this week to the few such academicians who has influenced and inspired me so well in perhaps subconsciously sowing in me the seed that grew enough to help me live and think how I live and think today - and I have all the reasons to believe I have made of myself a lesser embarrassment than what a few of them thought I would be, initially !


Not all of them taught me lessons from books, but served as an immense influence by their presence from far ; they may not have added me in their prayers, but their achievements were source of my prayer and inspiration; they may not have held my hands for long , but their shoulders of wisdom and the wings of care served as a shelter that money can't buy !!


Perhaps, in your mind must be the image of those teachers who has influenced your life, from far or near.


There is a teacher whom I am fondly remembering now, for whom I stand up with my extended arms, for a warm hug!


Shahir

16 July 2011