Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reflection

It's been a very fast paced month, last month, juggling different priorities and progressing forward, travelling back in memory lane through music and thoughts, and many more!


What will I remember this month for? What will I forget from how I lived this month?


At Work: finding out the right talent and convincing them on why should they work with us is what I was mostly engaged in. One by one, when a position is filled and we get closer to the requirement of associates we want to have, it offered a sense of satisfaction, and a hope that our validation of their talents be true, and that it will add value to the organization we intend to build.


The discussions with potential candidates offered a wealth of learning and experience. I wouldn't want to call it 'recruitment' though that may be the case. The different type of people you meet over the phone, some of them as genuine as one can be, and some of them as wolves in sheep skin, sometimes their desperate plea to give them a hand to come out of their pit and to trust in their ability to deliver than what is seen on their credentials, sometimes the tricks they engage and the baits they throw hoping for a big fish to bite, all of them offered a wonderful experience mainly in understanding people and lives!


There were a couple of candidates who stood out in the process. There were a few whom I hired purely for their attitude than their skills. And there were a couple of them who disappointed me for the tricks they engaged and threw away their opportunities!


Music : Last month also had moments where I took a trip down the memory lane, spending some time listening to a few of my favourite songs! There were some excellent compositions I was listening to, and of all, I just can't let go the energy and excitement I feel when I listen to this piece from Yanni's concert! The Storm of Yanni, a fabulous composition of Vidyasagar in Malayalam, and a nostalgic composition in Tamil from movie Varanum Aayirum were the ones that accompanied me in my walks! Most of all, the bhajan of Mahatma Gandhi, sung by Late Bhimsen Joshi to the music composed by Maestro Ilayaraja was one that anchored my spirits to its roots and helped me be sane!


People: Did I meet anyone so significant whom I will remember for a long time? I happened to connect with someone a few weeks ago who was to me personally a symbol of academic achievements! There was an instant admiration and a lasting impression I had of this lady whose examples of hard work and commitment towards scaling greater heights was phenomenal, that it dwarfed - if not engulfed - many like the lady whom I met at MMA in 2009 who had a list of high ambitions but none pursued. Here was an example of real concrete actions aligned to a clear set of goals versus an ambiguous set of wish lists displayed to gain attention and publicity!!


Literature : I did have moments where I felt very inspired to write a few verses, but I knew there was an utter silence locked in the middle of my chest every time I am at home back from work!! After a very long time, I had a little flirting with Malayalam and wrote a few verses; I loved it actually; I felt it was so sincere and simple. What was most touching for me is when for a few straight days words were escaping my thoughts and I desperately wanted to write something but couldn't! But one day, a few lines came into my mind from no where, and I wrote them down; it brought me some good comments from my friends on social network, through mails and feedback on the posts. It was once again that moment where you feel that writing doesn't come through a conscious attempt to create a masterpiece, but it has to evolve from within; it has occurred to me more than once that when I really want to sit and write, the words would never come to me, and when least expected a set of words would appear as a chain of thought that will then become a reflection of my heart!!! Those posts can be read on my WORDSChamber on Facebook, including "A Dichotomy", "The Walk", "The Road" and other snippets of thoughts.


Disappointments : I missed hugging my children. I may be a brother, I may be a colleague, I may be a friend, I may be a coach or a manager; I may be all that and more, but there is nothing that's as gratifying as being a father, and by that, there is nothing as marvelous as having your kids to look into your eyes and tell you the stories of the day with the seriousness that would dwarf the seriousness you saw in the eyes of the presidents signing Oslo Accord that meant nothing!!


Through days and months, life is growing!!!